Publicaciones en Inglés
- The Chilean Political Process. Unwin and Hyman,Boston,1989
- The incomplete democracy. Studies on politics and society in Latin America and Chile. (North Carolina University Press, 2003)
- Social Sciences in Latin America (1930-2003).Social Science Information sur les Sciences Sociales, vol. 44 Nos.2-3 Sage Publications Londres 2005 ).
- Fear at the edge. State terror and resistance in Latin America Co-editor con Patricia Weiss Fagen y Juan E. Corradi. University of California Press, 1992.
- Social Movements in Latin America in the context of economic and socio-political transformation. Editor Monographic Section International Review of Sociology, Vol 6, N°1, 1996.
- Democracy in Latin America. (Re)Constructing political Society . (Co-editor con E. Newman United Nations University Press 2001).
- Political Parties and redemocratisation in Latin America. ECDPM Working Paper, N° 34, European Centre for Development Policy Management, Holanda, 1997.
- Latin America in the 21st century. Toward a new sociopolitical matrix. (Co-autor con M.Cavarozzi, P.Cleaves G. Gereffi, J. Hartlyn. The North South Center Press, 2003)
Articles in journals.
- Chile: in Search of Lost Democracy in J. Hartlyn & S. Morley (eds.) "Latin American Political Economy: Financial Crisis and Political Change" (Westview Press, 1986).
- The ideas of socialist renovation in Chile, en Rethinking Marxism, Summer 1989, Vol 2, #2.
Democratic inauguration in Chile. Pinochet to Aylwin. (Third World Quarterly, Vol. 12 Nos. 3/4, 1990/1991.
- The Feasibility of democracy in Chile. Conditions and challenges. Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies. 1990 Vol 15. No. 30.
- From authoritarianism to political democracy. A transition that needs rethinking", en L. Albala-Bertrand, coord: Democratic culture and governance. Latin America on the threshold of the Third Millenium". UNESCO/Hispamerica, 1992.
- Human Rights and processes of democratization. (Journal of Latin American Studies. Vol.26. Part I. February 1994.
- Redemocratization in Chile. Journal of democracy, Volume 6, Number 1, January 1995.
- Citizenship, national integration and education: ideology and consensus. (Prospects. Quarterly Review of Comparative Education. UNESCO, Nº100, vol XXVI, Nº4, December 1996.
- What society? What sociology? The Chilean post-democratization debate. (Contemporary Sociology, September 1997, Volume 26, Number 5)
- Chile 1997-1998: The revenge of incomplete democratization. (International Affairs, Volumen 75, Nº2, April 1999)
- Book review: "L. Whitehead (ed): The international dimensions of democratisation: Europe and America". (Journal of Latin American Studies: Volume 31, Part 5, October 1999)
- Book review: "J.Linz and A. Stepan: Problems of democratic transition and consolidation" (Journal of Latin American Studies: Volume 31, Part 5, October 1999)
- Chile's elections: change and continuity. (Journal of Democracy, Volume 11, Number 2, April 2000).
- Social Sciences and Society in Chile: institutionalization, crisis and rebirth.(En Social Science Information sur les Sciences Sociales, vol. 44 Nos.2-3, June-September 2005.
- Changes in the socio-political matrix and development in Chile. (En Revista DEP, Diplomacia, Estrategia, Política, Brasil, No.9 January-March 2009.
- Sociology in Latin America. Does historical Sociology exist? (co author con Naim Bro). American Sociological Association. Global and Transnational Sociology Newsletter. Global Review vol 3, issue 3 Summer 2013.
Articles in books
- "Military Regimes, Democracy and Political Transition in the Southern Cone" en G. López & M. Stohl "Liberalization and Redemocratization in Latin America". Greenwood Press, 1987.
- The political evolution of the chilean military regime and problems in the transition to democracy. En "Prospects for Democracy and Transition from Authoritarian Rule", ed. por G. O'Donell, Ph. Schmitter y L. Witehead, (John Hopkins University Press 1986).
- Popular mobilization and the military regime in Chile. The complexities of the invisible transition. En S. Eckstein, ed. "Power and Popular Protest. Latin American Social Movements" University of California Press. 1988.
- Fear in military regimes. An overview (En J. Corradi, P. Fagen y M.A. Garretón, eds. "Fear at the edge", University of California Press, 1992.
- Democratic transition and political reconstruction in Chile, en Benno Galjart & Patricio Silva, eds. Democratization and the State in the Southern Cone. Essays on South American Politics,Latin American Studies, 53, CEDLA, Amsterdam 1989).
- Political realities and the witness of religion. En Theodore Runyon, ed. "Theology, Politics and Peace" Orbis Books, Maryknoll, New York, 1989.
- Political Democratization in Latin America and the crisis of paradigms. En James Manor, ed. "Rethinking Third World Politics, Lomgman UK. 1991.
- The political opposition and the party system under the military regime . En Paul Drake e Iván Jaksic, eds. "The struggle for democracy in Chile 1982-1990" University of Nebraska, 1991.
- Chile: Sociology (En Handbook of Latin American Studies. No. 51. Social Sciences. University of Texas Press 1991. 1992. Co-autor con Sergio Contreras. 1991).
- New State Society relations in Latin America. (En Colin Bradford, editor, Redefining the State in Latin America, OECD Paris, 1994.
- The political dimension of processes of transformation in Chile. (En William C. Smith, Carlos H. Acuña and Eduardo, eds. Democracy, Markets and structural reform in Latin America. North South center, Transactions Publishers, New Brunswick, 1994)
- Chile: Sociology (En Handbook of Latin American Studies. No. 53. Social Sciences. University of Texas Press 1993. 1994. Co-autor con Malva Espinosa. También como Documento de Trabajo FLACSO, en castellano, 1993).
- "Aylwin", "Chile", "Frei", (Artículos en The Encyclopedia of Democracy, editada por S. Lipset, vols 1 y 2, Congressional Quarterly, 1995).
- Human rights in democratization processes . (Nueva versión ampliada y actualizada. En E. Jelin y E. Herschberg, eds. Constructing democracy. Human Rights, citizenship and society in Latin America, Westview Press, 1995.
- Social Movements and the process of democratization. A general framework. (International Review of Sociology, Vol 6, Nº1, 1996. También en Staffan Lindberg y Arni Sverrison, ed. "Social Movements in Development. The challenges of globalization and Democratization" Macmillan Press, Great Britain 1997.
- Transition to market economy or new State-Society relations in Latin America? (En Iida Tsuneo y Kashioka Tomihide, eds. The transiton to market economy and the transition of market economy. International Symposium 9. International Reserach Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto 1995).
- Popular mobilization under the military regime in Chile: From invisible transition to political redemocratization. (En Josef Gugler, editor, "Cities in the Developing World", Issues, Theory and Policy", en Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Sociology: Chile. (Handbook of Latin American Studies, vol 55, Library of Congress, University of Texas Press, 1997. En colaboración con Malva Espinosa)
- A new socio-historical "problématique" and sociological perspective. "The second wind of sociology" "Le deuxiéme souffle de la sociologie", Sociologie et Sociétés, Volume XXX, Number 1, Spring 1998)
- Social and economic transformtions in Latin America. The emergence of a new political matrix? (En Ph. Oxhorn and Pamela K. Starr, eds. Markets and Democracy in Latin America. Conflict or convergence?.Lynne Rienner Publishers, Boulder, 1999).
- Chile: Political learning and the Reconstruction of Democracy. (En J. McCoy, ed, "Political learning and redemocratization in Latin America: Do politicians learn from political crises?" North-South Center Press University of Miami. 1999)
- Atavism and Democratic Ambiguity in the Chilean Righgth. (En K. Middlebrook,ed. "Conservative Parties, the Right and Democracy in Latin America", The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2000).
- From the dissarticulation of the State to the modernization of public managemenent in Chile. Administrative reform without a state project. (Co-author with Gonzalo Cáceres. En Ben Rooss Schneider & Blanca Heredia, “Reinventing Leviathan. The politics of administrative reform in developing countries” North-South Center Press, 2003).
- Coping with opacity. The financing of politics in Chile. (En Carlos Malamud y Eduardo Posada Carbó, "The financing of politics. Latin American and European perspectives".Institute of Latin American Studies. University of London, London, 2005).
- Modernity and democracies in a globalized world. A view from Latin America.(En Ramin Jahanbegloo, editor, “Playing with modernities” Cultural Research Bureau, Iran, 2004)
Artícles in other publications.
- Academic Freedom in Chile. Higher Education Supplement del Times de Londres, N°411. Septiembre 19, 1980.
- The Socio-Political Matrix and Economic Development in Chile (IPPG Programme Office, IDPM, School of Environment & Development,University of Manchester, Discussion Paper Series Number Fifteen A. October 2007)